Friday 1 December 2017

Altered Eclectics: Rusty Book Box

Hello!

Well we have reached another new month and that must mean a new challenge over at Altered Eclectics, please click HERE to go over for a read of the rules and to see all the design team projects.

This month I had bought a lovely book box from That Craft Place, and I wanted to create a really rusty looking cover with lots of texture...


After putting the box together it was totally coated with gesso to give it a good base for all the mediums I wanted to use.  Then I started to apply the base texture using structure paste through a circuit stencil from That Craft Place, crackle paste and sand paste both from Decoart.  I also added a bit to some MDF pocket watch shapes...


Once all of this was thoroughly dried I started to apply colour using Decoart Media line paints.  I used a combination of metallic silver, paynes grey, burnt umber and quinacridone gold until I was happy that I had a metallic and rusty look...


To give a slight patina look I added a touch of patina gilding wax from Cosmic Shimmer, but kept this to a minimum as I really wanted an old look that was not too shiny.
I first decided where I wanted the pocket watch pieces to go then added a selection of metal embellishments from my stash, I used glue gel to make sure they stuck down well...


I then added extra texture using micro beads in copper and bronze.  Next I chose a quote that I liked from Tim Holtz's small talk stickers, which was coloured with a bit of distress ink before adding to the cover...

I am looking forward to decorating some ATC's to go into my box soon, but I hope that my project has inspired you to have a go at entering our challenge this month, the link is at the top of this post!

Happy crafting,

Jane xx


No comments:

Post a Comment