Friday 7 April 2017

Creative Artiste - Art Journal

Hello!

I am here today as it is the first Friday of the month and so a new challenge over at the mixed media challenge blog Creative Artiste, if you click on the link below it will take you straight over to the blog where you can read all the guidelines for entering and see all the design team projects for extra inspiration...


The prize for the winner this month is really exciting as this months sponsors are Decoart!!!  Here is a picture of the prize you could win, well worth entering...



I love Decoart products, in particular the media line and regularly use them within my mixed media projects so I was really excited to create my project this month, here it is...


I bought this art journal kit from IndigoBlu a little while ago and have been waiting for enough time to get the covers decorated.  Because I wanted it to be something really special to me I wanted the cover to reflect all the elements of crafting that I love plus the chance to use some of those really special embellishments that I am always saving!
The covers are a good quality thick chipboard so I knew they would be able to take the products plus the weight of the metal embellishments and I wasn't disappointed.

I started by coating the covers with Decoart white gesso, then added some stencilling using Decoart crackle paste through the Andy Skinner French Elements stencil, plus some Decoart sand paste through a Bee Crafty distressed diamonds stencil.  Then I added some Tando grey board pieces that I had coated in gesso to form the base of my journal...



Once this layer was dry I added the main colours that I wanted, these were the Decoart fluid acrylics (cobalt teal hue, phthalo turquoise and cobalt blue hue)  they were also mixed with some of the tinting base to create different tones...


I added some stamping using the IndigoBlu script stamp and archival sepia ink (I had meant to do this at an earlier stage, which would have made it a bit easier!!).
To create a rusty look to the cover I used quinacridone gold and payne's grey (an Andy Skinner 'dirty wash') along with extra water, and dripped some from the top of the board allowing it to find it's own direction around the embellishments...



Once this was dried I added Decoart crackle glaze to areas and allowed it to dry overnight.  Once it was ready I used the Decoart raw umber antiquing cream to highlight the crackles...


Once I had completed the base it was time to use lots of my gorgeous embellishments that I am usually too scared to put on anything!  These were mostly from Prima (Finnabair collection), and I added some paper to the inside of the pocket watches from the Madame Payraud collection by Papermania...





 I did not want the cover to be too dark and grungy so I added some Pebeo gilding wax and also teal glitter, splash and copper micro beads and turquoise glass beads (all from Finnabair) for a bit of sparkle and shine...


Using a stamp from Bee Crafty (Wordage), I added a sentiment to the cover that I thought went well with the theme.  I toned it in with some of the acrylic paint and gilding wax...


The final finishing touch was to make some embellishments to hang from the book rings using fibres and charms that I had from the monthly craft boxes by Anna Hersom.

I absolutely loved creating this journal cover and am really looking forward to getting into art journaling properly so that I can fill it with lots of crafty goodness!

I would like to enter this project into the following challenges...



Thank you for looking and I hope you are inspired to have a go at entering the Creative Artiste challenge and possibly winning the fantastic Decoart prize!

See you soon,

Jane x





No comments:

Post a Comment