Monday 21 December 2015

Mixed Media Monday - Vintage Canvas Clock


Hello to you!

 
I have decided that I will start my blogging journey by publishing a post each Monday (this may build as I get used to the process!!).  As I love mixed media I thought I would be very obvious and call these my mixed media Monday's, not exactly original but it does the job!

 Next year I am going to be attending some Vintage/Craft fairs near to where I live and so wanted to get started on making some items that would fit with the theme.  Having recently bought some lovely clock kits by Indigoblu I spent an afternoon making one up, using a variety of products that I have lurking in my cupboard!  I was very inspired by the demonstrations I have seen by Kay Halliwell-Sutton, but also added in a touch of 'Finnabair', if you haven't seen her work and love mixed media do search for her on YouTube or Pinterest.

 Here is the kit that I used, it contains a canvas board, MDF square and clock mechanism.  The papers were from other kits as was the stencil, all still by Indigoblu.  The papers are Vintage Memories, in 6" X 6" and 12" X 12".  I chose the pocket watch theme as I wanted to try to make a more masculine feeling piece, I have already decided that the other clock in my set is going to be very flowery 😊

I  started by painting my MDF with black gesso and left it to dry.  I cut my large piece of paper to the canvas size and attached it using mod podge then did the same with a piece of 6" X 6" onto the MDF clock face.

I then watered down some Indigoblu gold finger paint and covered the sheets, dabbing some off with kitchen roll and drying with my heat gun.  My  BoBunny texture stamps with archival ink added texture, mostly around the edges, and I used more than one impression from each inking.
 
As I love gilding flakes I had to add some, especially for the vintage feel, but wanted to use a cog stencil rather than stamps.  So I used flitterglu on a piece of phat foam through the stencil at opposite corners on both pieces, then applied chocolate box gilding flakes, burnishing with a scoochy sponge.

To add even more layers and texture I then used Cosmic Shimmer gold texture paste through a diamond stencil and allowed to dry thoroughly.
 
 
The edges around the canvas were still a bit white (which I didn't like) so I used my blending tool with some archival ink to blend them out and then did the same on the clock face.  The numbers were then added to the MDF using a stencil from Indigoblu and decadent oak texture paste from Cosmic Shimmer.  I wasn't entirely happy with how this looked so once it was dry added some pebeo gold gilding wax, I preferred the more vintage look it gave.

 After marking where the clock face would go on the canvas I made a hole and then placed some cogs and other metal clock themed pieces to go across the clock.

Once I was happy with the arrangement I stuck them down with some pinflair glue gel then added some Prima Finnabair microbeads in thick matt paste as a finishing touch.

 


Finally I put the clock mechanism together through both layers.  I now need to decide whether I want to add a time related quote to the bottom of the canvas or not, what do you think?



Well as it is now almost Christmas I shall be spending the week on the last of the wrapping, luckily I am going to family for dinner so no prep to do there!  I hope you all have a peaceful Christmas whatever you are doing, until next week...

 Thank you for reading, happy crafting,

 
Jane  x

No comments:

Post a Comment