Monday 22 August 2016

Mixed Media Monday: Flower Canvas

Hello!

I firstly must apologise for not posting on Friday :(  I had lots of things that needed doing and didn't have time to blog however I spent most of Sunday using lots of mixed media products to make a canvas to show you today...


I recently bought an online class by Kate Crane, Journal Soup, as I really want to get going with art journaling.  I have gone through 3 of the lessons so far and have had a fab time so decided to use some of the skills that I have practised to make a canvas.  This was very much out of my comfort zone as it required me to do my own drawing and painting and I had a few moments along the way when I was not happy with it at all!

I started by drawing my flower in pencil onto a gessoed canvas...


The background was created using Decoart Media fluid acrylic paints and tinting base.  For the top part I used turquoise and cobalt blue, and the bottom part used golden green...


Next was the creation of lots of layers.  I have recently bought some speedball carve material to make my own stamps and this has been great for making texture type stamps.  To go with this canvas I decided to stretch my cutting skills by carving a flower and leaf stamp to use...


I didn't worry too much about going over bits of the flower as I knew I would be painting this in later.  To create the background I used a couple of stencils from TCW using paint and some Adirondack inks...


Then I used my own stamps with both paint and ink again, as well as some marks made with old lids and gift cards.  Once I was happy with the majority of the background I painted in the flower with white paint before adding colour using the Decoart paints...


Once I was happy with this and the paint had all dried properly I added some gelatos to various parts of the canvas and some doodles using a black pitt pen and white posca pen...


I used some liquid pearls to add extra patterns then a bit more stencilling using white crackle paste and an Artplorations stencil.  The final touch was to add some text.  The main sentiment was typed on the computer and printed out before adding gelatos.  The other text was from one of Tim Holtz's sticker books (Big Chat)...





If you would like to see more from Kate Crane her blog link is http://thekathrynwheel.blogspot.co.uk/
If you are interested in her online classes click HERE to go straight there!

I hope you enjoyed reading about my journey, it was certainly good fun and I got to use a lot of my crafty stash.

I will be back with another project on Wednesday so I hope to see you then,

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment