Thursday 4 February 2016

IndigoBlu - Enjoy Life Frame

Hello all,

Surprise!!  An extra post for this week, I will still be posting tomorrow as well.

Today I am posting a special project that I created for the IndigoBlu challenge blog after being chosen as one of the top 3 in last months challenge.  I am really proud to have been chosen as it was the first time I have entered even though I have been using the stamps and products for a few years.

Here is the link to the post on the blog...

http://indigoblublogchallenge.blogspot.com/2016/02/january-challenge-reminder-anything-goes.html

I wanted to create something that really showed the versatility of both the stamps and other products that IndigoBlu produce, so decided to create a canvas in an altered frame. Here is how the frame began...

Using black gesso, I painted the frame.  Once that was ready I dry brushed Goldfinger paint on top, leaving the black to come through.   It was left overnight to make sure the layers had totally dried and then chocolate box gilding flakes were added using flitterglu that had been wiped around the frame...



Once the frame was prepared I started on the canvas board.  I used a piece of 6" x 6" paper from the Vintage Memories paper stack, attaching it to the board with mod podge, then watered down some Goldfinger paint, tapping the brush to add 'splats'.  The edges were then coated with gilding flakes to match the frame...

The stamps that I used were from an exclusive IndigoBlu set that came with a magazine.  I used the flourish from the set to add interest to the background in vintage sepia Versafine, and then texture with an IndigoBlu diamond stencil and gold texture paste...


At this point I got so carried away with creating my picture that I forgot to take any more pictures until the piece was completed, but this is what I did...

* I wanted the stamps that I used to create layers within the picture (due to it being a 3D frame) but knew that the stamps were too detailed to cut out, so I decided to use acetate (heat resistant!). 
* I stamped the lady with versamark and embossed in black (I tried a few different colours but decided that black was the most effective).
* The wild flowers and grasses were stamped 3 times, and embossed twice in gold and once in light blue to match the colours of the paper.
* Once these were all roughly cut out I added them to the canvas using glue gel for depth.  After attaching one whole set of grasses, I cut the others into pieces before adding them at different levels.
* I found some different types of paper flowers in my crafty stash and sprayed the larger cream roses in gold.  Then all of them had a touch of gold gilding wax added to tie in with the vintage feel.  They were then glued along the bottom of the frame with a few gems added in for extra sparkle!
* I also wanted an extra detail on the frame so cut a butterfly out of another sheet of paper from the Vintage Memories stack (I also spotted a small butterfly which I cut out and added to the lady's hair).  Adding some gold embossing powder to the edges of the wings made it look a bit more aged, and gold wire and some gems for the body finished the butterfly off.
* At this stage I was going to leave the canvas as a picture, but I felt that it looked a bit empty at the top and I do love words!  However I didn't have a sentiment that would fit in the space required so masked part of a sentiment and heat embossed the first few lines.

Here is the finished piece with some extra close up shots...





I have already decided that I am going to make a 12" x 12" piece in a matching frame, not sure yet what the theme will be (although I have ordered some of the new IndigoBlu papers!) but I think that 2 small and 1 large frame would make a good addition to my very bare lounge wall!

I hope you enjoyed seeing this project progress, happy crafting,

Jane x




No comments:

Post a Comment