Friday 8 January 2016

Funtastic Friday - Gelli plate cog card

Hi everyone!

Now I know it is not Monday but as I have really gotten back into my crafting since Christmas I have decided that I will now start doing 2 blog posts per week, Mixed Media Monday and also Funtastic Friday (it is quite hard coming up with names!).
Funtastic could mean just about any craft project for me as I love them all and think craft is and should be fun, but I am going to try to make sure that it contains some sort of more playful element (for me anyway) if that makes sense?  I am also going to incorporate more challenges and with that in mind this project is being entered into 2 this week...

1) Die Cutting Divas - this challenge is to follow a sketch this week, which incorporates at least one die cut (not a problem for me due to my slight addiction in the last few months to dies!).   Here is the sketch...

 
2) Anything But Cute Challenge - this one is any mixed media project that contains some of your new crafty stash...
 

 
 
So here is the main part of what I used for my project...
 

The playful part of this project for me is the gelli plate.  I have had it a while but only really used it once when I first got it, so this was a good opportunity for me to have a play around with how to use it.  The new part is the cog die cuts (you can just about see them) from my Memory Box steampunk corner die that I bought with some Christmas money.  However I have to admit that the main stamped image and sentiment and die cuts could also probably count as new as I realised when I got them out that the stamps still had the backing on the foam where they hadn't been used (oh dear!).
First I created my background using acrylic paints on the gelli plate and stencils from Finnabair and Tim Holtz.  I made a few different ones until I had what I wanted, and I wasn't too fussy as I knew I was going to add more to it.  Once it dried I added more stencilling with distress ink, gelatos round the edge and some stamping and spritzing until it looked like this...
 
 
I then matted and layered it up with vintage gold and brown card...
 
 
For the strips I added colour to my cog die cuts (which I had cut up from the corners to be able to make strips) using distress ink and sprays then a little bit of gold gilding wax.  They still seemed to lack something, so after I had backed them onto some kraft card I added a few gems, a bit more spray and some ink along the edges.  I used 3 more cogs from the same die to make my embellishments for the top of the card...
 
 
After laying it all out I was then able to choose the size of circle die cut that I wanted and cut out 2 to mat together with my Stampin'Up! circle dies (this must be one of my most used sets).  I matched the colours to the main mats from earlier.  Then I stamped my focal image from Heartfelt Creations (All Geared Up) onto kraft card and added some ink and sprays.  I cut a 'cog flower' from the matching Heartfelt Creations dies and layered them up with a final gem.  The sentiment came from the same stamp set and it then just needed to all be stuck together...
 


 
The card is 8" x 8" and because I layered it up with foam tape I added some card to the inside to balance it out and put it into a box.
 
I hope you like it, I certainly did have fun making it and will be getting my gelli plate out more regularly from now on!
 
I will also be putting this card onto my Facebook page www.facebook.com/isleofcraftycreations
If you would like to take a look at my page do please pop over.
 
Enjoy your weekend and I will be back on Monday,
 
Jane x

9 comments:

  1. I love this card! The strips make it look like shutters. Gorgeous! Maxine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jane, you certainly made good use of all your new things! The background you created is fantastic and I love how you layered the card up - those cogs and cog flowers are wonderful. You have achieved a great vintage/steampunk look.

    Thanks so much for joining in our 'Ring out the Old, Bring in the New' challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool...loving all the cogs and gears! Thank you for joining our “January 2016 Sketch” Challenge this week at Die Cuttin’ Divas.

    Stay Creative,
    Georgiana
    • Carson's Creations •
    Die Cuttin’ Diva DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done!!! Thank you so much for joining our Ring out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs

    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for joining us at DieCuttinDivas this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out great and love all the fun textures. Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin' Divas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your kind comment Jane on my grumpy penguins and I just popped by to say how much I love this beautiful card. The colours are gorgeous and I so love steampunk so the theme is right up my street!
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me again! Just to say I had to follow your arty journey and you might want to show the followers thingy on here as I did it by url on my blog (it might encourage more followers says she smiling)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Your card is gorgeous!
    Thanks for joining Die Cuttin' Divas this week!

    ReplyDelete